305 TED Talk discussion.
I’m trying to learn for my Writing class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
1) Watch The Art of Asking TED Talk by Amanda Palmer in Module 3.
In her TED talk, Amanda Palmer talks about her days as a street performer (drop a dollar in the hat for the Eight-Foot Bride!) and then examines the new relationship between artist and fan. She makes the point that artist and musicians are connectors and openers, asking and receiving without shame.
2) In this discussion thread, reflect on the following prompts.
- Do you agree that Amanda’s asking for things (passing the hat, the kickstarter, the couch surfing, etc.) is a way to connect with others? Reflect on your response, yes or no.
- She makes the case that instead of asking ‘how do we make people pay for music?’ we ask ‘how do we let them pay for music?’ How might this line of thinking impact the work of those raising funds in the arts sector? What could be the implications in the arts sector through this shift in thinking?
3) After posting your individual reflection, respond to at least one other classmate’s post.