benchmark behavior management principles and practices of positive behavior supports.
A special education teacher works collaboratively with the IEP team to develop intervention plans for problem behaviors that may affect the learning and safety of students in the classroom. The results from a functional behavior assessment are analyzed and used to develop and implement a plan to change behavior based on the function the behavior serves and the needs of the student. Ongoing assessment is needed to determine the success of the intervention.
Review the “Angel Case Study” to inform the assignment that follows.
Part 1: Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA)
Analyze the case study, initial data, and FBA data found in the “Angel Case Study” for the first two days of the FBA. In 250-500 words, summarize the findings of the FBA addressing the following:
- Frequency of incidents
- Interaction with peers
- Hypothesis for the function of the behavior: Why do you think the student is acting out?
Support a minimum of two scholarly resources within your analyses.
Part 2: Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)
Draft a proposal for an intervention plan based on the FBA data provided within the “Angel Case Study.”
In 500-750 words, using the “Behavior Intervention (BIP) Template,” which has been downloaded to create a behavior intervention plan that includes the following:
- Three behavioral goals for the student to work toward.
- Specific collaborative steps the special education teacher can take to help the general education teacher implement the behavior plan and create a safe, inclusive, culturally responsive learning environment that engages the student in
meaningful learning activities and social interactions.
- Evidence-based motivational and instructional interventions to teach the student how to adapt to different environments.
- Safety interventions addressing students in crisis.
- Engaging rewards and reinforcements that encourage quality learning and performance, along with guiding feedback.
- How the team will evaluate the success of the BIP.
- Legal and ethical considerations regarding intervention and handling of confidential information.
Support Angel’s intervention plan with a minimum of three scholarly resources, in addition to the “Ethical Principles and Professional Practice Standards for Special Educators.”
Submit Part 1 and Part 2 of this assignment as one deliverable.
Prepare this assignment according to APA guidelines. An abstract is not required.
Information that might help in preparing the assignment will be uploaded in the drop files area. Also the following websites might help as well.
1. Behavior Assessment, Plans, and Positive Supports
Read “Behavior Assessment, Plans, and Positive Supports,” available on the Center for Parent Information and Resources website.
2. Ethical Principles and Professional Practice Standards for Special Educators
Read the “Ethical Principles and Professional Practice Standards for Special Educators,” located on the Council for Exceptional
3. Methods of Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA)
Read “Methods of Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA),” on the Association for Positive Behavior Support (APBS) website.
4. What Is a Functional Behavioral Assessment?
Read” What Is a Functional Behavioral Assessment?” by Mauri, from the About Parenting website (2014).