Discussion: Book Group.
Can you help me understand this English question?
Answer any four questions for your book.
Questions for In the Time of Butterflies
- Although she does not reveal the details, Alvarez lets us know from the start that the novel will end tragically. Why do you think she made this choice?
- How do the sisters differ in personality, goals and self-expression? How does Alvarez dramatize these differences?
- How does the Trujillo regime portray itself? What means does it use to build a positive public image?
- How does this police state control its citizens early in the novel?
- What kinds of violence are directed against women both politically and socially? How do these forms of violence connect to the experiences of the men?
- What events radicalize each sister? What personal commitments and feelings complicate the commitment to political activism for them?
- What is your biggest takeaway from the novel so far? Why did you connect with it?