Discussion: Developing a Philosophy, Goals, and Objectives.
I’m studying for my Health & Medical class and need an explanation.
Discussion: Developing a Philosophy, Goals, and Objectives
As addressed in this week’s Learning Resources, an organization’s philosophy statement derives from its mission and indicates the values and beliefs that steer decision making. An organization’s philosophy statement should be used to develop goals and objectives that lead to assured action.
As effective organizations recognize, “setting specific goals in a clear and compelling way—and insisting that people work together to achieve them—is the best way to get results” (Ashkenas, 2012, para. 9).
This Discussion builds on the Week 2 Discussion 2, as you create a philosophy statement, goals, and objectives for Mountain View Health Center, the organization featured in the case study introduced last week.
You will continue to work within the same small group.
Note: You will develop an individual philosophy statement, goals, and objectives independently. Through the collegial exchange that follows, you will offer each other suggestions for refinement.
- Review information on philosophy statements, goals, and objectives in Chapter 7 of the Marquis and Huston text and in the other Learning Resources.
- Review the Mountain View Health Center case study presented in this week’s media, and reflect on the mission and vision statements you developed for Discussion 2 in Week 2.
- Conduct additional research as necessary to strengthen your understanding of the process for creating a philosophy statement and developing goals and objectives and to deepen your thinking about the organization. For instance, you may research organizations with similarities to Mountain View and examine their philosophy statements, goals, and objectives.
- Draft a philosophy statement for Mountain View Health Center.
- Craft at least one goal and at least one related objective to operationalize the philosophy.
- Consider what you have learned about the importance of the philosophy statement and the process of developing one, as well as the significance of and distinctions between goals and objectives.
By Day 3
Post a philosophy statement for Mountain View Health Center, at least one goal, and at least one related objective. Offer insights you have gained about the process of developing a philosophy statement, as well as the significance of and distinctions between organizational goals and objectives.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses. Consider the following:
- Are the philosophy statements, goals, and objectives clearly written and easy to understand?
- How well does the philosophy statement align with the mission and vision statements posted in Discussion 2 of Week 2? Does it reflect accepted values of the organization?
- Are the goals and objectives specific, measureable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound?
- How well do the philosophy statements, goals, and objectives reflect the stakeholders?
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days by evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of their philosophy statements, goals, and objectives. Suggest opportunities for refinement.
APA format, 2-3 references, a couple of paragraphs