Educ 6358 working for diverse children.
I need an explanation for this Writing question to help me study.
Assignment 1: Putting it all Together
Throughout this course, you have explored the various components that need to be put into place in order to build an anti-bias, inclusive learning community that promotes respect, dignity, and fairness regardless of differences. Now is the time apply what you have been learning since the very first course in this program. For this Application Assignment, you will put all of the pieces together to develop a detailed action plan for implementing an anti-bias curriculum in an early childhood setting.
Creating an environment that cultivates positive relationships and interactions, nurtures children’s confidence, and offers children opportunities to combat biases and misconceptions takes thoughtful consideration and preparation. Your action plan will be comprised of several crucial components. Read through each of the components listed below to become familiar with the various aspects of the assignment. As needed, return to the Learning Resources in the course (and/or prior courses) to reread, reflect, and further solidify your thinking. Then, develop your ideas and record your action plan in a Word document.
- Review the list below and choose one to be the focus of your action plan. Issues related to:
- family structure
- culture and language
- economic class
- sexual orientation
- varying abilities
- Explain why you chose this particular topic as the focus of your plan.
- What “ism” (or “isms”) are you addressing with this topic?
- What misinformation, stereotypes, or fears might young children have about this topic?
- Write a short description of the type of early childhood program for which this anti-bias action plan will be prepared. Include the ages of children, number of children and staff, demographics of children and staff, ethnic groups, racial identities, economic class, languages spoken, gender, and varying abilities.
- What are you hoping to teach through this plan? Describe your goals and expected outcomes.
- In what ways will you address and contradict the stereotypes associated with the topic? Provide examples to demonstrate what you might say or do to combat specific stereotypes.
The Curriculum Plan
- Describe at least two learning experiences that will help you reach the goals of your action plan.
- Indicate at least two ideas you will incorporate into the visual/material environment to support your curriculum.
- List at least two examples of titles of books, music, film, and/or other media that will support your curriculum.
- Think about at least one “teachable moment” that you anticipate will occur and describe it in detail.
- In what ways will you connect with and involve the families of the children in your setting?
- From the list of varying abilities which you studied in Week 7, choose one. Then, state the accommodations you will make to your classroom, your own behaviors/interactions, and/or your curriculum, to best support learning for a child with this varying ability in the context of this action plan.
- How will you assess whether or not you have met the goals? Explain how you will know that your action plan has been effective.
Submit your completed anti-bias action plan.
Assignment length: 3 pages minimum
Save your written assignment as a “.doc” or ” .rtf” file.