The Unit 2 Assignment has two parts. You will need to watch two videos then answer the questions. Make sure that you provide internal citations for your answers, as well as a reference page. In order to get full credit for answering the questions, please provide a minimum of one paragraph for each question.
The law firm has a case that has received coverage by the local press. Two paralegals from the same firm are on a coffee break at a public coffee shop. One of the paralegals is working on the case, and the other is not assigned to the case but is curious about it.
Please view the video case study: Confidentiality: Public Information
Answer the following questions.
- Does the legal team working on a case have a duty to remain silent when information about the case has been made public?
- If incorrect information about a case has been made public, can the members of the legal team correct this misinformation? Why or why not?
- Can confidential information about cases be shared between members of the same law firm? Why or why not?
- What is the difference between confidentiality and attorney–client privilege? Who is protected by each doctrine? What information does each of these doctrines protect?
A paralegal discovers a document that is detrimental to the client’s case.
Only the paralegals working on the case are aware of its existence.
Please view the video case study: Destroying Evidence Found by Paralegals
Answer the following questions:
- What are the ethical issues in destroying evidence under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct?
- Are there any ethics opinions in your jurisdiction addressing destruction of evidence?