I don’t understand this Nursing question and need help to study.
Please keep in mind this is concerning nurse practitioner NOT regular nurse
Assignment 1 wk2: Analyzing an Ethical Decision
In your role, as an advanced practice nurse, you will encounter several situations that will require your ability to make sound judgments and practice decisions for the safety and well-being of individuals, families, and communities. There may not be a clear cut answer of how to address the issue, but your ethical decision making must be based on evidenced based practice, and what is good, right, and beneficial for patients. You will encounter patients who do not hold your values, but you must remain professional and unbiased in the care you provide to all patients regardless of their sociodemographic and ethnic/racial background. You must be prepared to critically analyze ethical situations, and develop an appropriate plan of action. For this Assignment, you will review the literature and discover the various ethical dilemmas advanced practice nurses encounter and how these issues are typically addressed in your state.
- Review literature for moral/ethical issues encountered by advanced practice nurses in clinical practice.
- Select an article that was published within the last five years.
By Day 7
Write a two page paper that answers the following questions:
- Summarize the moral/ethical issue in the article (no more than 1 paragraph)
- Describe the moral and ethical dilemmas surrounding the issue
- Analyze the ethical issue and compare them to the State Health Laws and Regulations in your state
- Outline the process of ethical decision making you would use to address this ethical dilemma
Discussion: Quality and Cost Measurements
As nurse practitioners continue to expand their role in delivering health care, it is imperative for NPs to provide the data and evidence to demonstrate the impact of NP care on patient outcomes. There are several challenges that advanced practice nurses face to provide quality care and meet productivity goals of an organization. This week it is important to explore the connection of quality care and performance measures. Some questions to consider as we discuss this topic are:
- Why are quality measures important?
- What is the difference between quality measures and performance indicators?
- What performance measures are used for NP productivity?
- Why are incentive plans used in clinical organizations?
- Read the article, An Incentive Plan for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses: Impact on Provider and Organizational Outcomes, by Catherine A. Rhodes, Mavis Bechtle, and Molly McNett (2015)
- Explore quality measures and identify at least one clinical performance measure, such as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
By Day 3
Post an explanation of the importance of quality measures using the clinical performance measure you identified as an example. Then, identify the performance measures used for NP productivity in Rhodes, Bechtle, and McNett (2015) article. Finally, share your opinion on incentive payment for care, including external motivators and at least one business model.
Assignment 1 wk4: Recognizing the Role of Adhering to the Standard of Care
When providing health care, there are standards of care which a reasonably prudent provider should follow. Providers at all levels are held to these standards of care. Failure to provide competent care to your patients will put you at risk for malpractice. Remaining current with the evidenced-based guidelines and providing optimal care will minimize the risk of liability.
For this Assignment, you will create a PowerPoint presentation that explains any legal implications that exist for failure to adhere to a standard of care, the key elements of malpractice, and compare the differences in malpractice policy options.
- Consider the importance of using professional resources such as the National Guideline Clearinghouse to guide care delivered
Create a PowerPoint presentation no more than 15 slides in length that addresses the following:
- Explain, in your own words, what regulatory and coding compliance for APRNs means to your practice
- Compare coding compliance issues within the state you intend to practice and federal regulations
- Identify and explain any legal implications that exist for failure to adhere to a standard of care
- Identify and explain the key elements of malpractice
- Compare the differences in malpractice policy options
Discussion wk5: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and Advanced Practice Nurses
Interprofessional practice requires that health care practitioners recognize that patient outcomes are better when there is a collaborative team approach in addressing patient health issues. Also, there are barriers to interprofessional practice that must be addressed among health care practitioners. The Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) is an initiative including multiple professions designed to advance interprofessional education so that students entering health care professions are able to view collaboration as the norm and seek collaborative relationships with other providers (IPEC, 2011).
This week your Discussion will focus on interprofessional practice. This Discussion is an opportunity for you to examine your perspective and experiences with interprofessional collaborative practice and to apply your knowledge to managing patient care.
- Identify a professional nursing organization and review their position on interprofessional practice
- Review the following case study:
Ms. Tuckerno has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). The patient receives care at an internal medicine clinic. Her internist is not in the office today and she is being treated by the nurse practitioner. The patient is on two medications for her MS, three different blood pressure medications, one medication for thyroid disease, one diabetic pill daily, insulin injections twice a day, she uses medical cannabis, and uses eye drops for glaucoma. Upon assessing the patient, the nurse practitioner (NP) decides her treatment plan should be adjusted. The NP discontinues some of the patient’s meds and discontinues medical cannabis. She orders the patient to follow up in two weeks.
The patient returns and is seen by her internist. The internist speaks with the patient and reviews her medical chart. The internist states to the patient, “I am dissatisfied with the care you received from the nurse practitioner.” The internist places the patient back on originally prescribed medications and medical cannabis.
By Day 3
Post an explanation of your understanding of interprofessional practice. Also, explain the position on interprofessional practice for a professional nursing organization that you are a member of or of which you plan to become a member. Then, explain what you think is the best collaborative approach to manage Ms. Tuckerno’s care.