The purpose of this essay is to examine the bases of ideological perspectives. This assignment has three parts but the essence of the assignment is part 2*, this is where the bulk of the points will be scored.
- Your ideology
- Take the PEW typology quiz http://www.people-press.org/quiz/political-typolog… (Links to an external site.)
- How were you categorized?
- Are you at all surprised by your results?
- Examine the bases of your ideological perspective in terms of:
- Chapter 6, “Public Opinion” of your Open to Debate e-text
- Jonathan Haidt and George Lakoff who look at differences in ideology as manifestations of deep-seated moral values. I will be expecting references to Haidt and Lakoff in your essay and you should find the following resources to be of help.
- Haidt, “What Makes People Vote Republican” Ch. 6 Reader
- Jonathan Haidt TED Talk: https://embed.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_can_a_d… (Links to an external site.)
- Lakoff, “Don’t Underestimate Trump” Ch. 5 Reader
- Please relate your understanding of the cognitive bases of ideological reasoning, above, to the narratives employed in the 2016 presidential election: https://businessofstory.com/podcast/brander-chief-… (Links to an external site.). What about facts: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/do… (Links to an external site.)?
- Open to Debate e-text: Chapter Six Public Opinion
- Power-point lecture outlines (in the Chapter 6 Canvas Module
- Video Lectures, also in the Chapter 6 Canvas Module (many students find these to be particularly helpful):
- American Government Examined e-reader:
- Chapter Six: Haidt, “What Makes People Vote Republican”
- Chapter Six: Lakoff “Don’t Underestimate Trump”
- Trump’s Lies v. Your Brain: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/do… (Links to an external site.)
- How Trump’s Narrative Intuition Beat Clinton: https://businessofstory.com/podcast/brander-chief-… (Links to an external site.)
* I will be looking for direct references to assigned readings (author and page # citations are adequate). Again, this is an assignment in which I am looking for your ability to display your knowledge of course materials!