Can you help me understand this English question?
- A. Review Figure 3.1, “Summary of the Spectrum of Responses to Diversity” on page 57 of your text. Next, review “Scratching Out Color” on page 60. Following, provide a short definition and a real-life example for each of the following: Discrimination, Ethnocentrism, Prejudice, Colorblindness or Minimalization, Awareness, Acceptance, and Valuing. It is my hope that your examples will reflect a personal experience or occurrence that you have encountered in your life. It could also be an awakening or a personal reflection that sparked change in yourself or a political issue that is occurring in America today. Please keep your definitions and your examples brief.
- Review the PowerPoint, Children and Prejudice.” What main points did you take away from the information that was presented?
- Read “Where Am I As A Teacher On the Spectrum?” on page 69. Review the script, Figure 3.2 Ideas and Scripts to Redirect and Reengage Negative Responses on pages 70 – 73. Following, Read, “Family Partnerships” on pages 99 through 100. Next, list three ways that you can advocate for social justice and prompt reflection and action in others. Be specific.
- Review the Civil Rights Movement as outlined in the PowerPoint. What are your feelings regarding the information in the PowerPoint? Keep in mind that this type of activity was very prevalent throughout the 1960’s and continues to plague our society today? Note: The Ku Klux Klan and/or White Supremacy continues to regain ground in 2018. There are between 5,000 and 8,000 members nation-wide. Be specific.
- Read the Article, Brown vs. the Board of Education. Why was this court case a turning point in the development of our country?
- A. What was your reaction to “The Little Rock Nine” PowerPoint and Video Clip? B. How does this real-life drama impact your role in society?
- Read the PowerPoint: Ruby Bridges. A. What was your reaction to the Video Clip, “Walk in Ruby’s Shoes?” B. How did Ruby’s experiences impact you as a parent, teacher or future teacher? Every time I see this video clip, I get very emotional! Ruby had amazing strength! I hope all of you will order the Disney video of Ruby Bridges. I asked my grandchildren to watch it with me. We discussed what took place in the movie as well as the importance of practicing tolerance, kindness, and acceptance in our daily lives. Leafe
- Review the video, “Starting Small.” Following, read pages 96 through 98 in your textbook starting with, “My Favorite Things.” Create a multicultural activity that you plan to implement in your class whether you are actively teaching or plan to teach in the future. You can replicate the activity in the video and/or the textbook, however, you must add a signature (a new idea you came up with on your own) component to the activity.
- What was your greatest takeaway from this Learning Module, and how will it impact your practice as a potential or practicing teacher? You have two weeks to complete this assignment.