Short essay political science.
I’m trying to study for my Writing course and I need some help to understand this question.
The purpose of this short essay (1 page or 1.5 page) is to examine the bases of ideological perspectives. This assignment has three parts but the essence of the assignment is part 2*, this is where the bulk of the points will be scored.
- Your ideology
- Take the PEW typology quiz http://www.people-press.org/quiz/political-typology/ (Links to an external site.)
- How were you categorized?
- Are you at all surprised by your results?
- Examine the bases of your ideological perspective in terms of:
- Chapter 6, “Public Opinion” of your Open to Debate e-text
- Jonathan Haidt and George Lakoff who look at differences in ideology as manifestations of deep-seated moral values. I will be expecting references to Haidt and Lakoff in your essay and you should find the following resources to be of help.
- Haidt, “What Makes People Vote Republican” Ch. 6 Reader
- Jonathan Haidt TED Talk: https://embed.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_can_a_divided_america_heal (Links to an external site.)
- Lakoff, “Don’t Underestimate Trump” Ch. 6 Reader
- Please relate your understanding of the cognitive bases of ideological reasoning, above, to the narratives employed in the 2016 presidential election: https://businessofstory.com/podcast/brander-chief-dr-randy-olson-explains-power-trumps-narrative-intuition/ (Links to an external site.). What about facts: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/donald-trump-lies-liar-effect-brain-214658 (Links to an external site.)?