Week 2 Writing Discussion 1.
I need an explanation for this Writing question to help me study.
Discussion: Main Idea
Engaged, curious reading is an essential first step toward being able to create scholarly arguments. In Discussion this week, you practice “joining the conversation” by creating an argument in response to a reading.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the materials on critical reading strategies and on the MEAL plan for paragraphs.
- Read the provided article in the Learning Resources, taking note of where the authors make claims and support them with evidence.
- Read actively, taking notes and asking questions. If you are a hands-on type of learner, you might find it helpful to print out the excerpt and mark it up physically; use whatever methods are most effective for you as a reader.
- Decide what kind of argument you might make based on what you’ve read.
By Day 4
Post your initial response that includes the following:
- 1 sentence that states an argument you can make about the topic based on the article. This sentence will serve as the main idea in your eventual MEAL plan paragraph.
- 2-4 sentences that explain why you have chosen this argument as a critical reader.