Write an essay.
I’m trying to study for my English course and I need some help to understand this question.
1. Choose to write your essay on either Vertigo OR Citzen Kane.
2. Answer all the prompts below for that movie.
- define “ostinato”.
- How does Herrmann use ostinato – what effect does this compositional technique create in the viewer? Cite your sources.
- Who was the director of Vertigo? Provide a brief bio in your own words and cite your sources.
- Who was the music composer for Vertigo? Provide a brief bio in your own words and cite your sources.
2. Find the clip “Kim Novak in Vertigo (1958)”
- IMPORTANT! Watch this clip TWICE. First with NO SOUND, second time WITH SOUND.
- ANSWER: After watching the clip without – then WITH sound – what information does the music give you about the characters that you would not know otherwise (there is no dialogue in this scene).
- Watch the entire clip.
- ANSWER: How does Herrmann’s music work in this scene? At what point in the action does the music reach its high point? How is this reflected in the visual (the lighting effects in particular?) Cite your sources.
1. Read the synopsis here (Links to an external site.).
2. Read about the musical score here (Links to an external site.).
3. Read about the composer here (Links to an external site.).
4. Watch the Breakfast Scene cliphere (Links to an external site.)
5. Answer the following prompts in an essay.
- Who was the director of Citizen Kane? Provide a brief bio in your own words and cite your sources.
- Who was the music composer for Citizen Kane? Provide a brief bio in your own words and cite your sources.
- Describe the music during each of the following time segments. What is happening in the scene at each point? How does the music support the dialogue?